Tuesday, June 11, 2013

DIY Bathroom Sign

I actually saw this on Pintrest, but of course it was to buy one....not directions on how to make your own.  So, I came up with my own way! :)  First, I bought a wooden plaque at Michaels for $1 or $2.  Then, I painted the plaque black using 3 coats.  I waited for each coat to dry before I painted another coat.  Next, I painted over the black paint with 1 or 2 coats of white paint.  The reason I did this is because when I sanded the edges to give it an antique look, I wanted black to show instead of the wood.  Then, once all the paint had dried, I sanded down the edges and some of the front to give it an old/antique look.  This next step may sound kind of confusing (again, I am really bad about taking pictures as I go).  I actually used Microsoft Word to print each word in the font that I liked.  Once I printed the words, I taped them onto the plaque to make sure everything was the right size and fit the way I wanted it to.  Once all the words were taped to the plaque, I took a pen and outlined the printed letters.  When you do this (you have to push hard enough), an outline or indentation of the letters will go onto the wood.  Then all you have to do is take the taped paper off and trace the indentation of the letters on the wood using either paint pens or sharpies (I used sharpies for mine) and then color in each letter.  If you are like me, I cannot just write stuff like this without using some kind of template.  So that is exactly why I created a "template" of the words.  If you are confused about making a template, leave a comment, and I will make a separate post with the template I used.  Again, everyone's template may be different depending on the size of the plaque you buy and the font you want to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment