Tuesday, June 11, 2013

DIY Canvas

I have been looking for a different set up for pictures above our couch, and I finally figured one out.  We already had the Taylor alphabet picture that I made above the couch, and I knew I wanted some family pictures below the Taylor picture.  We had some family pictures taken when Kadynn was 6 months old.  So I picked my favorite three and had them blown up to an 8x10.  First, I painted the sides of three blank 8x10 canvases black.  Once the paint dried, I put mod podge on the back of the picture and on the actual canvas.  I then put the picture on the canvas.  Once it dried, I took a foam brush and put a one layer, thin coat of mod podge over the picture to make it look like it was printed on the actual canvas instead of a picture glued on the canvas.  I used the matte mod modge because I like matte pictures better than glossy.  Making your own canvas pictures is A LOT cheaper than buying them from somewhere.
You can see the black paint on the sides.

I have made a few other canvases, and I have used multiple colors for the sides.  On one picture of my daugher, I used pink paint for the sides of the canvas, and it turned out great! :)

1 comment: