Friday, March 21, 2014

Southwestern Spaghetti Squash

I got this recipe from Pintrest, but then I changed it up and added some things, and it turned out awesome!
 
Ingredients:
~1 large spaghetti squash
~Black beans
~Corn
~Minced garlic
~Chili powder
~Cumin
~Onion
~Shredded cheddar cheese
~Olive oil
 
Directions:
~I cooked the spaghetti squash in the oven.  I poked holes with a fork in the squash, and then I put it right on the baking sheet for a little over an hour on 400.  I let it cool, cut it in half, then took out all the seeds and gooey stuff (kind of like a pumpkin).  Then I "shredded" out the noodles with a fork into a dish.  I actually did this the night before we cooked the dish and kept the squash noodles in the refrigerator over night.
~On medium heat in a skillet, put a little olive oil and cook the onion (as much as you want) and minced garlic (I used 2 teaspoons).  Saute about 2 minutes.
~Then I mixed in the cumin, oregano, and chili powder (again, I just guestimated). Saute another minute.
~Stir in the beans (1 can drained and rinsed), corn (1 can drained), and the spaghetti squash noodles.  Mix all together.
~Next, I added the entire mixture to a pyrex baking dish.  I then added some Pace Salsa (as much as you want).  I cooked it on 350 or 375 (can't remember) for about 40 minutes.  I also added cheddar cheese to the top of the mixture before I cooked it. 
~Take it out and serve with sour cream or plain greek yogurt for a healthier sour cream option.
 
 
 
*After I initially cooked the spaghetti squash the first night when I shredded the noodles out, the noodles were still crunchy.  Everything I read people said the noodles are usually crunchy.  So, baking it for the additional 40 minutes actually softened the noodles up like regular noodles.  I definitely recommend baking the dish after everything is mixed together to get softer noodles.  I would taste it throughout baking it to see if the noodles are soft enough for you.  You can always cook it less or more than 40 minutes depending on the softness of the noodles.*

No comments:

Post a Comment